Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gluten Free Meatballs & Swedish Sauce

Meatballs- This is a good standard meatball recipe you can use with marinara or any other sauce. I am going to give you my families special Swedish Meatball recipe we have every Christmas.

Swedish Meatballs One batch makes about 20 small meatballs.

Meatballs
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 C Ground up Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, Chex or any other type of none sweetened gluten free cereal (I used rice krispies, place about 2 1/2 C cereal in a zip-loc bag, roll over with rolling pin to ground them up. This should make at least a cup ground up, but I would measure this so your meatballs have the appropriate consistency)
1 Egg
1/4 C Fresh Finely Chopped Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce
1 (16 oz.) Jar Grape Jelly
1 (12 oz.) Jar "Homemade" brand Chili Sauce (in the ketchup section)

Form into balls. (I used about a 1.5" cookie scoop.) Place on broiler pan and bake at 400 degrees in oven for 40 mins or till nice and browned. (I took mine out at about 35 mins or so because I was going to be keeping them warm in a crock pot for a while and didn't want them too dried out.)

When the meatballs are 10 mins. from being done, combined Jelly and Chili sauce in a large low side pan on medium high. Once it starts to bubble turn down to low and wait till meat balls are finished. Add meatballs into sauce and coat. Simmer with lid for 20 min.

Or for a crock pot, I added the Jelly and the Chili sauce in the crock pot once I put the meatballs in the oven and set the crock pot on High. Once the meatballs where cooked I put them in the crock pot and let them warm on high for 2 hrs and then turned it down to low. I serve this over rice for a main dinner dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment